Internship is a key to success. One just needs to unlock the following queries to choose
the right path. UIBS has taken an initiative to assist to in this experiential journey.
Q1 Should you apply for an Internship or not?
Psychology is both an art and a skill. It’s a practical field requiring one to deal with clients having various psychiatric and psychological concerns. No two clients are identical even if they have the same diagnosis. Also pathology in real life does not follow textbooks. Since it is a field requiring lot of practical work hence one cannot be a skilled psychologist by just reading books and having no training or clinical experience. Thus, if one wishes to be a Counsellor, Psychologist or a Clinical Psychologist , practical as well as a complete hands on training under supervision (which one gets only during internships) is a must.
Q2 When should you apply for an internship?
Practical exposure and training enhances not just the understanding of theoretical concepts but also one’s clinical and counselling skills. Internship programs are primarily meant for budding psychologists who are pursuing their Bachelors , Masters or M.Phil in Psychology. An early, intensive and extensive practical exposure is essential to sharpen one’s knowledge and skills. Hence the rule says “the earlier one undergoes internship, the better is the learning and skill development.”
Q3 What are the key aims or objectives of Internship?
The key aims or objectives of Clinical and Counselling Psychology Internship 2018 program are:-
- To have maximum practical exposure and hand-on-training under supervision as far as possible.
- Direct patient handling under close supervision
- To take detailed case history and MSE of different clients.
- To observe psychiatric concerns of different clients both child and adult
- To sharpen one’s ability to make accurate diagnosis.
- To know the basics of assessment- Which assessment? Why? Where? When? And How?
- To gain clarity about different kinds of therapies and to enhance and refine one’s counselling skills.
- To gain insight into related fields like OT, Speech Therapy, Special Education, Forensic Psychology, Graphology, Behavioural Medicine etc.
- To have constant guidance, interaction, assistance and discussion over various psychological concerns with highly experienced and qualified clinical psychologists and other mental health professionals
- To have honest feedback about one’s performance and to address areas of improvisation.
Q4 How should one choose, where to do internship from?
The choice of place where one undergoes internship is a crucial decision, as this is likely to determine how skilled and knowledgeable one is likely to be later in life. Ideally one should choose to do internship at a place where :-
- One is allowed to observe and interact with wide variety of patients under supervision
- One gets proper guidance with respect to queries and concerns
- One is assigned clinical and not merely clerical work to do
- One gets exposure to different assessments, therapies and different fields related to psychology
- One gets apple opportunities to interact with different Mental Health professionals having extensive practical experience and who are willing to share their knowledge and skills
- There is continuous emphasis on skill development, active discussions, role plays and feedback over one’s performance
Q5 How is internship at UIBS different from other places?
Internship at UIBS involves:-
- Opportunity to interact with both child and adult cases
- First hand experience of handling patients under supervision
- Exposure to all kinds of therapies
- Doing clinical work (not clerical work)
- First hand training to know the basics of assessment- Which assessment? Why? Where? When? And How?
- Several role plays to sharpen one’s counselling skills
- Proper theory classes to gain clarity on various psychological concepts
- Gaining insight into related fields like OT, Speech Therapy, Special Education, Forensic Psychology, Graphology, Behavioural Medicine etc.
- Constant guidance, interaction, assistance and discussion over various psychological concerns with highly experienced and qualified clinical psychologists and other mental health professionals
- Honest feedback about one’s performance and assistance to address areas of improvement
Q6 what is summer Internship at UIBS all about?
Clinical and Counselling Psychology Internship 2018 UIBS means getting intensive and extensive training in various aspects of psychology. The key components of Summer Internship at UIBS are as follows (for no additional cost):
- Internship begins with an orientation program.
- It involves posting of interns at 7 to 8 clinical set-up such as Psychological Clinic, Mental Disability Sector, drug de-addiction centres, centres dealing with street children, terminal illness, under privileged children, corporate CSR, Learning Disability etc.
- It involves training in various segments and conducting workshops and working with children and adults with various psychological concerns
- It involves hands on experience with and training of various psychological tests like GDT, DST, VSMS, MISIC, WAPIS, SSCT, ADHDT, 16PF etc.
- It includes around 14 guest lectures and talks from external faculties on various topics such as forensics, drug de-addiction, relationship counselling, counselling skills, sexuality education, internet addiction, graphology etc.
- It involves classes on case history taking, MSE, child and Adult Pathology etc.
- It includes teaching basics of various therapeutic modalities such as CBT, Behaviour Modification, Psychoanalysis, Existential and Humanistic therapies and many more
- Several roles plays and case discussions to build upon one’s Counselling skills
- Workshops on Rorschach Inkblot Test, TAT, NeuroPsychology, Signature Analysis and Graphology (Handwriting Analysis) at discounted rates for interns.
- It also give each intern an opportunity to contest for UIBS BEST INTERN AWARD
Q7 How to apply for internship at UIBS?