Courses other than M.Phil to get Registration from RCI as Clinical Psychologist

Atul Verma-Clinical Psychologist-UIBS

Many times Clinical Psychology aspirants ask me what or the other ways to get RCI Certificate other than M.Phil in Clinical Psychology. They have many questions in mind but dint get proper answers I will try to answer all the questions..In case if you any other question just put it in comment section or call me at 9899375790. Hope you will get all answer here:

Get Enrolled with us and prepare for entrance Exam of M.Phil, PsyD and PG Diploma in Clinical Psychology click here

Q. Can we get RCI certificate directly without M.Phil? :

Ans. No as if now RCI is not giving any certificate to practice as a Clinical Psychologist.

Q. Can there is any other short term RCI Clinical Psychology courses? :

Ans. yes there is course from last few years few institution are running RCI recognized one year Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology any one with PG in Psychology can apply for the same. this list of the institutions are given below. 

Q. Can I get RCI certificate after P.hD.? :

Ans. No P.hD is an academic degree which focuses only on one research topic during the course so after P.hD you can not practice as Clinical Psychologist as you are not exposed to different kind and mental health problems and you are not trained in diagnosing and treating people with metal health problems even if your topic is from clinical filed.
But there a RCI Course called PsyD that is equivalent to P.hD degree, in that you will trained as clinical psychologist first for two years and after that in last 2 years you will do research on selected topic and after that you will get RCI registration as Clinical Psychologist.  Instution for the same is give below.

Q. Can I do M.Phil part time or in distance mode?:

Ans. No there is no one in the world or there is no course in the world that makes you learn patient handling, diagnosing and treating people online or through correspondence as it is not possible. How can a treating doctor or surgeon or psychiatrist learn these  skills online. Bottom line is there no RCI registered M.Phil Clinical Psychology.

  • Institution for Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology & PsyD.
TL003 Sweekar Academy of Rehabilitation Sciences,  Upkaar Complex,   Upkaar Circle, Picket, Secunderabad, Telangana – 500 003 Tel.No.- 040 – 27843338  Fax.- 040-27810731 E-mail : Website: P.D.(Cl.Psy.)


2013-14 & 2014-15,  2015-16, 2016-17 2017-18 to 2019-20

2013-14, 2014-15,     2015-16 & 2016-17 2017-18 to 2019-20

UP017 Amity Institute of Behavioural (Health) & Allied Sciences (AIBHAS), Amity University, Amity Campus, Sector -125, Plot No. 4, Gautam Budh Nagar, Noida-, E-mail:-    Tel. No.:-  0120-2431859, 4392000 Fax: 0120 – 2431870 P.D.(Cl.Psy.)


2015-16, 2016-17 &      2017-18

2016-17 to 2017-18

For Update list of institute visit


Atul Verma – Clincial Psychologist


126 thoughts on “Courses other than M.Phil to get Registration from RCI as Clinical Psychologist”

  1. What I know for pg diploma in clinical psychology will give you a RCI license for associate clinical psychologist that is I guess you have to work under a clinical psychologist but not solely as a clinical psychologist

    1. Dear Rashmi Behera

      You are right they will be registered as Clinical Psychologist (Associate). They can practice independently but they cant teach/training/supervise.

      I quoting the RCI Website

      “The Clinical Psychologists (Associate) are distinguished from the M.Phil qualified Clinical Psychologist. The later are full fledged professionals with higher level of competency and responsibility in service, academic and research areas; whereas Clinical Psychologists (Associate) by the nature and duration of their training are consider not fully adept to function as an academician. They are, however, considered competent enough to involve in a broad range of professional service activities. The clinical psychologist (Associate) will be us ed as an under-fill class for existing clinical psychologist positions under state and central government sectors. However, the role in such appointments are limited only for providing clinical services to clients with mental illness and does not involve independent responsibilities in academic activities such as teaching/training/guiding/supervising students of clinical psychology at the academic departments. In these activities Diploma qualified may be assigned roles of Clinical Assistant and/or Teaching Assistant or Junior Consultant as deemed fit in teaching/training centers.”

      1. Are these the only two colleges with Diploma in Clinical Psychology which can get us an RCI license?
        Are there any entrance exams for these courses?

  2. I am graduate in engineering. Can I apply for M.Phil directly ? Or I will have to do graduation in psychology first?
    Can distance education Master in psychology from IGNoU will work ?

    1. You have to be PG in Psychology with at least 55% of marks, doing regular Post Graduation will be good. Distance mode is not a good idea as few institute don’t take Correspondence PG Psychology students.

  3. Hi Mr.Atul,

    Iam a gradute in Science and then did my M.Sc.( Applied Psychology) from GJUS & T hissar.Then did my B ED ( LD) from Vision Institute Faridabad.How can i get register with RCI

    1. If you have done B.Ed from RCI registered institute then will get certificate special educator. If you want to register as clinical psychologist you have to do M.Phil In Clinical Psychology or Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology or PsyD in Clinical Psychology.

  4. Sir how hard is to get admission in the RCI recognised college for MPhil clinical psychology and how much pay a student can expect after finishing the MPhil

    1. Competition is tough as seats are few in different institutions specially in government colleges, but with good preparation you can get the seat. in private sector starting is around 30 no 50 on an average, in government setup you can get 50 to 1 Lakh depending on you post type of job. You can also go for private practice where there is no limitation. Earning also depends on you ability and expertise also.

  5. Hi I am shwetha, my husband has studied in clinical pyshcology. He has working experiencence, in kuvempu university college has lecturer for 5years and has a clinical pshycologist at Manasa Nursing home for 6years , even he was working has carrer counsellor in online job at “YOUR DOSt” online job n guest visitor in District Health Department has counsellor in colleges and industries for 3years. currently working has a campus pyshcologist in esteemed institution INDIAN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE Bangalore.
    can u help him to get good job guidence in abroad and career giudence to learn M.fil to ger RCE recognistion.

    1. Hello Shwetha
      Your husband can apply to different countries as they announce post there, but for that he has to comply their rules and regulation and selection process as each country has different process of evaluations. You can get details from respective countries website. Here in India RCI provide licence for clinical psychologist and rehabilitation psychologist. For rehabilitation psychologist, RCI previously use to issue the licence to those who has at least of 5 years of experience or completed M.Phil in Rehabilitation Psychology. I think he can apply for RCI licence as he has 5 years experience please check with RCI.
      For M.Phil in clinical psychology he has to do regular 2 years M.Phil Clinical Psychology course recognised by RCI or 4 year PsyD recognised by RCI. To get licence of Clinical Psychologist Associate he has to complete one year professional diploma in clinical psychology. But after diploma you can teach the M.Phil Students but you can practice.

      1. >But after diploma you can teach the M.Phil Students but you can practice.

        A small correction for the readers. You can NOT teach MPhil students but you can practice.

  6. Hi, my name is Pratibha. I have completed my graduation in Psychology from Bangalore university (Direct mode) and my Post Graduation in Psychology from Annamalai university through Distance mode. I have done my B.Ed (Spl.Ed) from RCI recognized Tamil Nadu Open University for which have a CRR no. as a special educator, Other than that, I hold a diploma in Early childhood care and Education, from IGNOU. I work as the Principal in a leading Special school. If I take up 1 year of Diploma course in Clinical Psychology in IGNOu, will I allowed to take up psychological assessments for my children. I am already doing the informal tests as a special educator?

    1. One year diploma will give licence of clinical psychologist associate. You can do the assessment of your children. The only restriction is you can not work as faculty for Clinical Psychology Program. But You can practice.

  7. Sir can I do post graduate diploma in clinical psychology through distance mode am in Mumbai and course in working under a psychiatrist and psychologist in hospital practical knowledge I can get it from them pls advise

    1. hello
      Lakshmi you can do professional diploma in clinical psychology by distance mode as it is full time regular mode because they teach how to treat and assess the clients that is not possible through online mode.

  8. Shashi Mani Tripathi

    Hi …..I did my graduation in applied psy from DU and masters in applied psy from jamia. I m Ph. D in psychology from utksl univ. I am working as a guest faculty in a univ plus counsellor there. I have a plan to have my own clinic. I want rci registration.How is it possible.

    1. Hello Shashi

      You can get RCI registration as a clinical psychologist after completing the 2 Year full time M.Phil Clinical Psychology program or PsyD from RCI approved institute. Other option is you can do full time Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology from RCI approved institute.

      You can get RCI registration as a rehabilitation Psychologist after completing the 2 Year full time M.Phil rehabilitation psychology program.

      for rci registered institution visit their site that is

  9. Dear Harsha
    Yes you can get admission in M.Phil. you can apply to any institution of your choice. We will update our sites with details of the institution soon.

  10. Sir, I have done my M.A psychology in child mental health in Kuvempu University through distance education, I did my internship in Manasa mental health shivomagga,now presently working as a school counselor,can I open counseling centre ,or is it required any RCI certificates

      1. I wish to do professional diploma in clinical psychology from can I do it in u knw any hospital or institute

  11. respected Sir,
    i wanted to ask how can i get a license in clinical psychology in inida. i am pursuing PhD in psychology and wish to practise in future. what are the ways i can make myself skilled enough to practise and also get a license.

  12. sir, i’ve completed my MA in psy. now i am looking for the course of professional diploma in clinical psy. what are the institutions that are offering this course and are reg with RCI and can i do practice further? what are the limitations of Prof. diploma?

    1. Dear Nikita
      You can do Professional diploma in CLinical Psychology Amity university has the that diploma. you can practice after that as you will get licence as Clinical Psychologist Associate. But you can teach in MPhil students after completing that diploma. D If you have time go for M.Phil Clinical PSychology instead of Diploma.

  13. Dear Sir,

    I have done M.A. in psychology from SNDT University, I am pursuing PhD in psychology from JJT University, for the past 6 years I have been working at a mental health rehabilitation center, counseling psychiatric patients ( but I have never been involved in any testing and assessment work). can I now apply to be registered as a rehabilitation psychologist?

  14. Hello, I have plans to study in UK for Masters but also plan to get my Mphil done to become a clinical psychologist. Because most masters courses in UK are one year, and the eligibility criterion to apply for RCI licensed MPhil courses is 2 years masters, is there anything I can do about the situation? Or is there any exam for students who have completed their MPhil without RCI but want to get licensed now?

    1. NO masters can be done from any UGC recognised university. But if your looking for M.Phil clinical psychology, then the institute should be RCI Recognised otherwise you can’t get licence to practice from RCI.

  15. Hello sir,
    Now the instittutes have been limited and in which i cleared my entrance, i ranked 12th last year but then too they didn’t gave me admission and when i asked them they said rudely that we will not tell anything regarding it.
    So will you please help me in choosing right institute where there is a fair means of evalaluation and i may get admission.

    1. Hi Mansi

      You can choose any institute based on your interested and where you get admission. In M.Phil there are limited seats only so sometimes it difficult to get admission rank 12 is sometime don’t work as there reservations too. if in some institutions has 12 states then 12th rank is very low and all institute conduct written exam so prepare for the same.

      1. Hello sir , I wanted to ask u …..I done my pg in psychology after that I done one year of diploma in guidance and counselling ……so I wanted to start my own setup……so can u which course is helpful for me for gaining my license?

        1. Dear Priya

          You can get licence after competing your RCI Courses like

          1. M.Phil Clinical Psychology
          2. Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology
          3. PsyD
          4. M.Phil Rehabilitation Psychology
          and many Special Educators courses

          Depending on your interest you can take up course.

  16. Hello sir
    M BAMS Graduate , can i practice in psychology , after pg diploma in clinical psychology course,

    1. Please check that are eligible to apply for the Rci registered Professional Diploma In Clinical Psychology after you M BAMS, because I am not aware about the course. For Professional Diploma In Clinical Psychology you need MA Psychology with 55%.

  17. Hello Sir,
    Just wanted to know that Rehabilitation Psychology from IGNOU is recognized by RCI or not? Distance Mode.

      1. I am also interested to join in this course. But, when I wrote a mail to ignou (15 days back), got reply saying that this course is discontinued.

        Is this course running still? I am from Hyderabad, any suggestions please.

  18. Hello sir,

    Could you please ELABORATE the procedure, if any to get a license from RCI, if a person has done Mphil in clinical Psychology from any non- RCI affiliated university.

    For instance, there are a lot of universities which may have had RCI license till last year and not this year, so what is the procedure of getting RCI license post the mphil degree?

    1. you can get license from following

      To get license of clinical psychologist you have to do M.Phil in clinical Psychology or PsyD or Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology from RCI registered institute. After Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology you will get Clinical Psychologist Associate license. If previously the institute had Rci registration then for that batch students will get the license from RCI but present batch will not get the license.

      If you have not done RCI Course then there is process in which after 7 years of supervised experience you can apply to RCI for registration but you will license as Rehabilitation Psychologist please check for the same with RCI. You have follow the same thing if you have done M.Phil from non RCI institute.

      For Reha

  19. Lakshmi Shankar

    Sir I finished my clinical psychology from ignou what would be the next step I want to learn more on cliNical psychology and am from Mumbai.and also I have done therapy courses too
    Kindly guide me

  20. Sir, I am Ankita. I am doing Ma Psychology. If I do PsyD in Clinical Psychology so is it possible to do work in both Psychotherapy and Accademics/ Lecturership?

  21. Hi Sir,
    I have done MA in Counselling psychology from IGNOU. I want to practice career counselling, do I need to have any diploma or certification course to start my own center for career counselling?

  22. Hello sir,
    I’ve done Bachelor’s in psychology, master’s in criminology and P.G Diploma in guidance and counseling. Currently I’m working as a counselor and it will be an year. I feel the need to gain more skills for psychotherapy. Since I’m master’s in criminology, do you think I will get admission in MPhil Clinical psychology? As I want RCI registration with a course enhancing my skills.

    1. I RCI says you need to have MA or MSc Psychology with 55% to get admission in M.Phil Clinical Psychology.

  23. Hi sir…I Am pallavi goyal.i did MA applied psychology from Amity gurgaon in 2011…since then I have been working in a reputed psychiatric hospital in punjab… I am interested in doing post graduate diploma in rehabilitation psychology
    Is diploma offered by ignou rci recognised? Will I get licence after completing it???
    Please tell is vision institute faridabad offers rci recognised diploma in rehab??
    Can I go for part time phd without leaving my job??

  24. Hello!
    I’m a masters in Psychology. I want to start my own practice of psychotherapies and psychological testing in children . For this i assume i need to do PG diploma in clinical psychology from RCI institute ( Amity uni ) to be licensed to practice as i cannot give 2 years for M.Phill . Am i right with this information? Also, is there an entrance for PG diploma in clinical psy ?

    1. Ye you can go for Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology, Entrance will similar as in M.Phil Clinical Psychology but may be you will face less competition.

  25. Can someone with a professional PG diploma in clinical psychology be eligible to work in a hospital set ups or only M.Phills can do that? .

    thank you in advance.

  26. How can I get a state licence afterM.A. PhD in Psychology,Post graduate diploma in vocational guidance and career counselling from UPRTOU with 5 years experience in psychiatric hospital as A PSYCHOLOGIST.

    1. Dear Dr Sweety

      I am not aware of any state license. RCI gives the license after Specific courses as rehabilitation and clinical psychologist.They also give license of rehabilitation psychologist after the 7 years of experience please check with RCI.

  27. priyanka agarwal

    Sir, I am almost done with masters in applied psychology. if i do my pg diploma in counseling from an international university will it be accepted by RCI and will it grant the license to practice counseling?

    1. Hello Priyanka

      No RCI will not accept it for RCI License. You can go for RCI approved Professional Diploma in CLinical Psychology.

      1. priyanka agarwal

        Sir. but the RCI recognised diploma counseling courses are very few and the seat number are very limited. Are there any RCI recognised diploma counseling course (distance)? if there is any such course can you please share the details.

  28. Sir I have scored 54.08 in MA conical psychology any other way to do mphil..will any diploma course will help me to do mphil.

  29. Dear Sir,
    I am an in-service teacher and dealing with special needs children in a school. I would like to get registered with RCI. Please suggest me the DISTANCE MODE courses if possible MA in psychology or any other diploma or certificate course. It seems the RCI has very limited courses for the teachers. I will be very grateful if you help me for the same.

    1. Dear Rakesh Ji

      RCI does not conduct any distance mode course. MA Psychology can be done from IGNOU as distance mode.

      1. sheetal Zende

        Respected Sir ,
        Thanks for your advice to all students .
        Sir, I am doing MA psychology in ignou with clinical psychology . It is not RCI recognised.
        I don’t want to study further.
        Plz guide me on what to do after the degree.
        How can I work.? with my limited degree.
        Can I atleast work as a clinical psychologist under either a psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist ?
        If that is allowed?
        Will my clinical experience of assisting them be counted for any future career as an independent clinical psychologist.
        Or not.
        Plz guide me.
        I am married and have small kids.
        I can’t study MPhil or entrance exams.
        Thank you.

        1. Sheetal after school you can work in school as a psychologist/counsellor. There are many projects there you can work. You also work in. clinic with clinical psychologist and psychoatrist. Even now a days people are working in oncology depratments, cardiology departments and other medical departments but you can practice as psychologist and not clinical psychologist. Clinical Psychologist Licence is given by RCI after regular courses only.

  30. I am doing m.a in psychology from Ignou. I want to know that will i be eligible for m.phill course in regular mode from any institution that is rci approved?? Plz let me know

    1. There are few institute like they write that they will take only regular students. Other intsitutes allow all students for entrance. If you clear the same you they have take you for RCI Course.

  31. Hello Sir, saw your replies to other psychology aspirants, I hope you can also help me.
    I pursued my BA in Panjab University, after which I am currently in the 2nd year of my Masters Degree in Clinical Psychology in Italy. I am aiming to pursue a PhD from the UK next year.

    I want to return to India after my PhD, can you help me with the information related to how one might get registered with the RCI if they pursue their education abroad.
    I read about an exam conducted by the RCI for this purpose but I think it’ll be better to hear and confirm from you.
    Thank you in advance.

    1. Hi Harmehak Singh

      I am not aware of exam for license. Earlier there was an exams called EC3 but they discontinued it.. For current status I am not aware off. You can write to RCI

  32. Muralee Krishnan

    Dear Mr. Atul,

    I had done my BA in sociology, LL.B from Kerala University & M.Sc Applied psychology from Bharathiyar University ( Correspondence) with 50 % Marks.

    Please advice me how to become a clinical psychologist in India

  33. Aarushi Sharma

    Can I do b. Ed from Amity (not recognised from rci), then do MPhil in rehabilitation? After that will I get licensed to be a special educatior

  34. I have heard that there is advanced diploma in child guidance and diploma run by NIPCCD in collaboration with Guru Gobind University. This is RCI approved. Could you please shed some more light on this.

  35. Hello sir,
    I have done Bsc in Human development and I want to study clinical psychology. Will I be eligible for obtaining RCI if I either do MA in clinical psychology or MSc in clinical psychology.

  36. Bhawani Kumari Marwah

    what is the difference between Psy.D psychology and the Proffessional diploma PD offered by Amity University – Both are RCI recognised ….. on what basis does one decide. Also is the time duration 1 yr and 2 yrs for the latter or longer unto 4 yrs for the PSY.D

  37. Good Afternoon sir, I am Monika Sahay , i have done my masters degree in psychology with 70% marks. Right now I am working at Disha De Addiction Eehabilitation Center, Patna. so how to improve my career in counselling . please advice me?

  38. I am pursuing M.A. Psychology , and I want to do any distant Diploma course along with M.A. so that I can go into practice after my completion…are there any RCI approved institutions that provide the same??

    1. For RCI License you have to complete Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology that is aftr MA Psychology then only you can practice

  39. Dear Sir,
    I have finished my Masters in Counselling Psychology I wanted to ask If I am pursuing Professional Diploma in Clinical Psychology right now I will be Clinical Psychologist Associate. After this, if I go for PsyD degree will RCI convert my licence into a Clinical Psychologist?

  40. Sir
    Do i need RCI approval for running a counselling center? I have done Msc applied psychology & pg diploma in guidance and counselling from Annalay university. Then pg diploma in counselling psychology and geriatrics from Kerala university.

  41. Sir,
    I hv done msc psychology distance from Nagarjuna university with 80 percentile
    And also hv done 6 month basic course in psychology from an institute .
    So wt vud be my options if I want to do something from my home
    Coz I hv kids to look after
    Kindly suggest
    Thank u

    1. earlier they use to give certification after 7 years of experience presently there is no clear information on RCI Site but still you can contact them.

  42. Deepika Sherawat

    Dear Sir, Im pursuing (Counseling & Family Therapy) from Ignou.
    Sir can I start my counseling practice after completing this course?
    Sir plz reply my question. thnx

    1. Yes you can work in the area counselling psychology, and associate with other professionals like clinical psychologist, psychiatrist and refer the cases as and when needed.

  43. I have completed my Masters degree in Clinical Psychology from Pune University. I want to perceive my career in hospital settings as a psychologist. Do I need RCI registration for that? and if yes what should be the next step I should take?

  44. Hi Sir,
    I’m Syed. I’ve completed my M.Sc in Psychology through Distance Education from the Univ. of Madras, but my U.G. in Electronics is somewhere different from Psychology.
    I’m in a situation of what to do further?
    Suggest me courses in both regular or correspondence to get RCI registered.

    1. The courses mentioned here good courses and they are the only courses in which you will get RCI Certificate and all of them are regular. If you are Msc Psychology you can apply for these courses.

  45. Hello Team,
    I have completed my MA Clinical Psychology from IGNOU. Please list RCI approved institutes, available in Pune to pursue M.Phil. Also, what all diploma courses we can pursue in Pune to get RCI registration , as Clinical Psychologist.

  46. I am a Counseling Psychologist in Delhi. I have 3.5 years of experience woprking in Mumbai. Looking for RCI approved diploma/RCI registration process.
    Kindly guide!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

error: Content is protected !!
Scroll to Top